The origin of the US Navy Submarine Service Insignia dates back to 1923. On 13 June of that year, Captain Ernest J. King, USN, later to become Fleet Admiral and Chief of Naval Operations during World War II, and at that time Commander Submarine Division Three, suggested to the Secretary of the Navy, via the Bureau of Navigation (Now Naval Military Personnel Command), that a distinguished device for qualified submarines be adopted.
The submarine insignia was to be worn at all times by officers and men qualified in submarine duty attached to submarine units or organizations, ashore and afloat, and not to be worn when not attached.
The officers' insignia was a bronze, gold plated metal pin, worn centered above the left breast pocket and above the ribbons and medals. Enlisted men wore the insignia; embroidered in silk, white silk for blue clothing and blue silk for white clothing. This was sewn on the outside of the right sleeve, midway between the wrist and elbow. The device was two and three-quarters inches long.
Available Color Finishes:
Submariner Insignia Dolphin Insignia Plaque - more details at Military Plaque's main store page